BREAK THE PATTERN
Move, Week 4
Sunday, January 29, 2017
The good news is that we aren’t on our own when it comes to taking our next step. In fact before Jesus left this world, He told His disciples that it was better for them that He left because when He did, He would send the Holy Spirit to teach them and effect change in them. He said we would receive power when the Holy Spirit became present in our lives.
TEXT: Romans 12:1-2 (789)
12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy…
• In light of everything I have just written to you (including the last part of chapter 11 when Paul makes the case that what Jesus did on the cross wasn’t just for the Jews but for all mankind)
• This is a turning point in Paul’s letter. The first part of the letter is all about God’s redemptive plan. Now Paul is going to talk about how we respond to that plan.
…to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.
• This is true and proper worship / worship is expressing love and honor for someone / The way we express love to God is through our obedience (not just lip service)
o In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, – 1 John 5:3 (857)
o “Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifice as much as in obeying the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. – 1 Samuel 15:22 (196)
o The Lord says: “These people come near to me with theirmouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught. – Isaiah 29:13 (492)
• Why do we need to MOVE, to take our next step? Because our obedience to Christ demonstrates our love for Christ.
2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world,
• Conform – passive tense – happens without much effort – pillow lines on your face
• The problem isn’t the world, it’s the pattern of this world
• Resolutions – Resolve can’t change what routine created.
Paul: You have to break the pattern, but that’s not enough. Don’t just stop something (conformity to the world), start something by letting God change the way you think.
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
• Deeper than a makeover – transforming the essential nature of something
• How we think is vital – Our lives move in the direction of our strongest thoughts
Ways we can let God change the way we think:
1. Through His Word, the Bible.
o Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. – Philippians 4:8 (820)
o Psalm 119
o Do you want to know what the will of God is? You have to study the Word of God. You have to think like God. You have to have a new mind. And if you want a new mind you have to study the Word of God more rigorously than you have ever studied anything in your life. There is no magical way to know the will of God, apart from knowing the Word of God. – RC Sproul
2. Relationships – we tend to share the thoughts of the people we spend time with
3. Serving – when we think of others and their needs first, we start to think differently
4. Holy Spirit – we can invite Him to do a transforming work in us
Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
• God’s will is way more about WHO you are then WHERE you are, and when we say, “God, transform who I am by changing the way I think” and make ourselves available to Him (that’s really what your next step does), we can see God’s will in us and for us.