Community Group Homework
For the week of April 4, 2016
1. Would you rather lose $1000 or lose all of your phone contacts?
2. Would you rather use eye drops made of vinegar or toilet paper made from sandpaper?
3. Would you rather change the past or be able to see into the future?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
TALK ABOUT IT
When Jesus speaks about following him, the more common word that Jesus uses combines the prefix indicating “union” and the word meaning “path or road”, which also means “voyage or journey”. So when Jesus says, “Follow me” he is saying “join me in my path, my journey.” It’s the idea of walking with Jesus, being near to him. It’s highly relational and communicative, but with the clear understanding that Jesus is the leader; he is setting the course.
– So what in your opinion does it mean to follow Jesus?
Take time as a group to read the passages in Matthew referencing “follow Me”:
Matthew 4:19, 8:22, 9:9, 10:38, 16:24, 19:21
– What do these verses teach us about following Jesus?
– Many of the times Jesus told people to follow Him, it involved leaving something behind and pursuing something else. Has there been a time in your life when you have done left something behind so you could pursue something greater? What happened?
– If it’s true that everyone wants to make a difference, to make their life count, why do you think so many people settle for the day-in-day-out routine? Why is it hard to let ourselves pursue greater purpose?
Someone once said, “Most people make a living, many people make a life, and some people make a difference.”
– Do you agree with that statement? Why or why not?
– Why do you think people that make a difference are few and far between?
– How should your faith as a Christian influence your desire and ability to make a difference with your life?
WRAPPING IT UP
– Is there some cause or some area of need that you believe you are supposed to make a difference in?
– What would it take for you to get started?
– What could keep you from getting started?
– How can we pray with you about that?