Sunday, April 1, 2018
- Easter is our celebration of Jesus’ death and His resurrection
- Thousands of people died on crosses, but only One conquered the grave.
That’s not the only unique claim of Christianity…
- Pluralistic culture / truth is relative / all truth is equal and all religions are the same
- Islam (2nd largest religion): Six beliefs and Five Practices
- Hinduism: Reincarnation / 3 paths to salvation: Path of Duties, Path of Knowledge, Path of Devotion
- Buddhism: No consistent notion of the afterlife
- Non-religious person: make sure my good pile is bigger than my bad pile / pursue other things, often coming up short or dissatisfied
- These are all construction projects from humanity toward God
Christianity’s BIG and UNIQUE claim is God knew we couldn’t build that bridge from our side, so He built it from His. He’s not hiding, waiting for us to find Him. Instead, He pursues us!
- God didn’t BUILD a bridge (a system) He BECAME the bridge.
- Jesus’ cross is the bridge, and we have a bridge to cross.
Here’s how the Apostle Paul wrote about it in his letter to his friend Timothy…
“…There is one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone.” – 1 Timothy 2:5-6 (910)
- There is ONE.
- Not a good bridge or and easy bridge or the best bridge – the only bridge.
- Jesus never claimed to be a good option – He claimed to be the One
- Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.” – John 14:6 (823)
- We can be RECONCILED to God.
- “Mediator who can reconcile”
- When we are reconciled with God, it impacts all of our other relationships
- All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. – 2 Corinthians 5:18-20 (884)
- The bridge is for EVERYONE.
- “He gave His life to purchase freedom for everyone.”
- This was huge when Paul wrote it / if you think we’re divided now as a society, read the Bible / Jew-Gentile, Men-Women, Slave-Free
- Good news: It’s not about YOU.
God knew all that. He knows YOU. That’s why Christ did what we could never do and He became the bridge. The cross is a bridge and we have a bridge to cross.
- “He will build a bridge to get to you.” (Jesus is still building bridges…)
- How do I cross that bridge? What’s my first step?
- Get rid of your little bridge
- Believe what Jesus says
- About His plan for your life
- About who He says you are
- About who He says He is
- Believe what Jesus says