Community Group Homework
For the week of March 12, 2017
1. St. Patrick’s Day is this week, so you have to wear green. What is your favorite color to wear? Your least favorite?
2. The best place to go for spring break is…
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
TALK ABOUT IT
In this series, we state that, “Found people find people.” One of the simplest ways to do that – the lowest common denominator – is by inviting someone to church or another environment where they will hear the gospel.
– Was there someone whose invitation started you on your journey toward Christ? Who was it? What happened?
– When has God used you as an inviter? What happened?
– Is inviting a natural or unnatural thing for you?
John 4 tells about a seemingly spontaneous meeting between Jesus and a Samaritan woman. What started as an errand (fetching water) turned into a life-changing moment. Have someone in your group read John 4:4-9.
– John mentions that Jesus was “tired” and “sat wearily” at the well. Does that detail add anything to the story? Why or why not?
– When is the least likely time for you to be in an “inviting” mood?
– Has there been a time in your life when an opportunity to share Christ or invite someone to church came unexpectedly? What happened?
Have someone read John 4:10-19.
– What did Jesus mean when He said that those who drank from the well would become thirsty again? What did He mean when He promised that, “those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again”?
– What does the woman’s back story ( five former husbands) tell us about how she tried to satisfy her desire for meaning in life?
– What are some of the things that people in our culture pursue in order to satisfy their “soul thirst”? How effective are those things? Why?
Have someone read John 4:28-30 & 39-42
– How did Jesus’ invitation to the woman impact her life? What did she do in response to Jesus’ invitation?
On Sunday, we talked about the “3 NOTs”. These are cues in conversations that we can pick up on as opportunities to invite a friend to church. They are:
“I’m NOT DOING WELL” “I’m NOT PREPARED” “I’m NOT IN CHURCH”
– When is the last time you heard someone at work, at school, at a family gathering, at a block party…share one of the NOTs? How did you respond?
– Are there any other cues that you commonly listen for that provide the opportunity for you to share your faith or invite someone?
WRAPPING IT UP
Most of us tend to live really full, really busy, really fast- paced lives and it is easy for us to miss the cues, the opportunities to invite someone to church or another environment where they will find out more about Christ. Pray for your group to have a greater sensitivity to those opportunities.
Are there any needs that we can pray for tonight?