– Vertical Morality boils down to a relationship with God gauged by obedience to the laws of God.
About how many Commandments, or laws, were the Jewish people following during Jesus’ ministry?
“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Luke 6:27-38 27
“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you…”
“No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thorn bushes, or grapes from briers. A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”
1 John: 9-10
“Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness. Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble.”
– Jesus says that you will act based on what’s in your heart, the condition of your heart. If you have love in your heart, your actions will reflect the love in your heart. If you have hate, bitterness, unforgiveness, etc… in your heart, your actions will reflect that.
– Shadows in our heart, can tear our relationships apart.
– King Solomon says the heart is the “wellspring of life.” Proverbs 4:23
1) Search Your Heart
– Ask God for His help to reveal to us the shadows in our hearts
– When you search your heart, you have to be willing to consider the possibility that you have sinfulness in your heart.
2) Guard Your Heat
– Guarding your heart is more about feeding your soul than avoiding sin.
– Guarding our hearts is about preparation.
– Everybody is somebody for whom Jesus died.
– The you next to you, is a you whom Jesus died for.