Community Group Homework
For the week of April 2, 2017
1. Peeps vs. Jelly Beans vs. Chocolate Eggs. Go.
2. Did you get April fooled this year? What’s the best prank you ever played on someone?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
TALK ABOUT IT
There is a lot going on in the world around us and in our world. There is a sense of anxiety and division in America that seems historic. When you add your own stuff to the mix, it can be easy to give in to worry and anxiety.
– What are some of the things that you tend to worry about?
– How do you typically respond to anxiety?
In his letter to the Philippians, Paul tells them, “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything (4:6).” He seems to echo the words of Jesus in Matthew 6:25-34, which is part of His “Sermon on the Mount.” Have someone from your group read that passage and discuss the questions below.
– What are some of the things that Jesus tells His followers not to worry about? Those seem like pretty basic needs, why did Jesus say not to worry about them?
– What examples did Jesus give to demonstrate God’s willingness and ability to provide for our needs? Is that reassuring to you?
– Most of us have enough clothes to wear and food to eat, so we don’t worry about those things. What are some of the things that we tend to worry about in 2017 America?
Have someone read Philippians 4:6-8.
– What thought sticks out to you in this passage? How does that apply to you?
– Is it easier for you to worry about things or to pray about them? Why?
– Paul wrote this letter from prison. How does that influence your view of this passage?
– What do you think it means to have “peace that passes understanding that will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus?”
Paul wraps up this section of Scripture by encouraging the Philippians to think about things that are:
True – Honorable – Right – Pure – Lovely – Admirable – Excellent – Worthy of Praise
– Which things on this list do you need to think about the most? Are there any things on this list that you struggle to think about?
– What is the upside of thinking about these things? How can thinking about positive things help to guard your heart and mind?
WRAPPING IT UP
Are there areas in your life that you need to stop worrying about and start praying about? How can we pray with you for those things?