Community Group Homework
For the week of April 18, 2016
1. We are in “spring cleaning” season. What’s something around your house that you know you should get rid of, but you keep hanging onto?
2. Are you more of a pack rat or a toss it person?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
TALK ABOUT IT
When people talk about “listening to God” it can seem really mystical and difficult. Can you think of a time in your life where you knew that God was speaking to you or that you felt like God had given you a sign about something? How did you respond to that word or sign?
In Luke 10:38-42, we read about an event that happened when Jesus stopped by the house of His close friends Mary and Martha. Read Luke’s account of this event together and then discuss:
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” 41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
– What’s your first response to this story? Who’s side are you on? Do you tend to act more like Mary or Martha in this story?
– What does Jesus response to Martha say about listening vs. doing? How does that speak to you?
– When it comes to action, are you more likely to jump in without thinking it through or to be slow to act while you think everything through? What is the upside and downside of your tendency?
On Sunday, Darrick said, “First you get direction, then you make a difference. The goal of hearing from God is not knowledge, it’s action.”
– Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
– When is the last time that listening to God has prompted you to act?
WRAPPING IT UP
– When you consider the different ways that God often speaks (see the front of this handout), what are the most common ways that God speaks to you?
– Psalm 46:10 says, “Be still, and know that I am God…” How hard is it for you to be still and know that He is God? What would it take for you to slow down and listen for God’s direction in you life?
– How can our group pray for you this week?