DECIDE THEN DO
Move, Week 3
Sunday, January 22, 2017
- Washington Monument
- 1885 / 40 years to build / 20-year hiatus / funding $1 million (230,000)
- Discipleship means movement / Take your next step toward Christ
- Principle of the Path: Direction, not intention, determines destination
Jesus’ call to people was always to move – to follow, to go. Often when He made that call, He challenged people to think it through – to count the cost.
TEXT: Luke 14:28-33 (729)
8 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you,30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’
31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace.33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.
If you want to move in your faith, direction, not intention, will get you there. It’s going to require three “Makes”.
- Make a decision.
- Decision to build a tower, go to war (there was something they needed to do)
- Pace of spiritual growth: 50/113 (44%) slow but steady, 38 (34%) stuck and want to move
- 80% said that your faith is important or very important to your daily life
- 62% (71/114) engage with the bible 2x or less in a week
- #1 response for next step = more bible, devotional time
- Most of us share our faith 1-2x a year (next step for many)
- What’s your next step? Beyond good intentions, what direction do you need to move in?
- Make a plan.
- Jesus: this person needed to count the cost of building the tower. This king needed to think about what it would take to win this fight.
- Once you decide – once you identify your next step – making a plan is crucial to turn a good intention into a direction
- What’s your next step? Who or what can help you take that step?
- Ways we can help you to move
- Relationships: Community groups / Growth coaches
- Experiences: Serving opportunities (ongoing, Special Egg, missions)
- Information: classes and resources for spiritual habits
- So what’s your next step and who or what can help you to take that step?
- Make yourself accountable.
- More accountability leads to more accomplishment. (Examples)
- Plans are established by seeking advice, so if you wage war, obtain guidance. – Proverbs 20:18 (451)
- Surely you need guidance to wage war, and victory is won through many advisers. – Proverbs 24:6 (454)
- What is your next step? WHO can help you to take that step?
- Someone in your community group, a growth coach, a close Christian friend, your spouse?