MAKE YOUR MOVEMove, Week 1
Sunday, January 8, 2017
• New series: Move / “Helping people take their next step toward Christ”
o We all have another step to take / Christianity is a journey not just a decision
• The church word, the Bible word for those steps is: discipleship
o Disciple = “learner or pupil”
o More than just a student, a disciple is a follower.
o A disciple doesn’t just want to know what the teacher knows, a disciple wants to be like the teacher and do what the teacher does.
o Discipleship, or followership, for a Christian is a desire to think, speak, and act like Jesus.
o Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did. – 1 John 2:6 (855)
• Discipleship means movement.
TEXT: Matthew 4:18-22 (677)
18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”
20 At once they left their nets and followed him.
21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.
• Right before this Matthew tells us that Jesus had been preaching publicly, so they probably had listened to Him or had heard the buzz about this new teacher
o And they’re thinking, “Should I listen to this guy? Should I follow His teaching?”
• When Jesus shows up He gives them a simple, two word invitation, “Follow Me.”
• It wasn’t the last time that Jesus would give that invitation. Later He would find a man named Phillip and speak those same words, “Follow Me.”
• Wherever He went, Jesus invited people to action. He didn’t ask them to just believe His teaching or to agree with Him. He invited them to MOVE, to follow Him.
• Jesus took it a step further – He said that if you weren’t willing to follow Him, you couldn’t be His disciple:
o 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. – Matthew 16:24 (687)
• In other words, Jesus wasn’t looking for fans or supporters, He was looking for followers.
• Discipleship doesn’t just mean believing or paying lip service. Discipleship means movement. It’s taking your next step.
• Great Commission / “Go” (keep moving) and make more disciples (get more people moving – help them take their next step toward Me)
• What’s your move this year? (regardless of your starting point or current position)
o What is your next step?
o Who or what can help you to take that next step?
o Who can you help to take their next step?