Community Group Homework
For the week of January 15, 2017
1. What’s the most important goal you’ve ever achieved? How did it make you feel?
2. What do you do to beat the winter blahs?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, chal- lenged or confused you?
TALK ABOUT IT
– In the MOVE series, we are saying “discipleship means movement”. Do you agree with that description? Why or why not? How would you de ne discipleship?
On Sunday we looked at a parable (story with a purpose) that Jesus told, found in Luke 18:9-14. Have someone from your group read the story and then discuss the following.
– According to Luke, why did Jesus tell this particular story? Who was His audience?
– In Jesus’ stories, He often used the Pharisees to describe those who were smug in their religiousness and tax collectors, lepers, or Samari- tans (the Jews unwanted neighbors) to describe less desirable people. If Jesus was telling us stories today in our context, who do you think He would use instead of Pharisees and tax collectors? Why?
– How would you describe the Pharisee in the story? What stands out to you about him?
– How would you describe the tax collector?
– In what ways can you relate to the Pharisee in the story? How about the tax collector?
– Why was the tax collector, not the Pharisee, justi ed in the story? What was Jesus trying to teach His audience in the story? What can we learn from Jesus’ story?
On Sunday we talked about ve growth stages in the Christian journey. They were: None, Seeker, Exploring Christian, Growing Christian, and Maturing Christian.
– Describe your journey of following Christ. When did you become a Christian (if you are) and what has helped you to grow in your faith?
– On Sunday Darrick said, “You have to know where you stand before you can take your next step.” What do you think of that statement as it relates to your spiritual journey?
– Which stage do you feel best describes you currently?
– What do you believe your next step is? How would you like to move forward in your faith?
WRAPPING IT UP
As we close, we’d like you to consider the “BIG 3” questions related to this series and the mission of our church:
1. What is YOUR next step toward Christ?
2. WHO or WHAT can help you to take that step?
3. Who are you helping to take THEIR next step?
– How can this community group help you to take your next step this year?
– Is there someone that you want to help take their next step this year? How can we be praying for that person?
Take time to pray for each other – especially that they would be able to take their next step toward Christ.