Community Group Homework
For the week of April 30, 2017
1. What is your favorite local (not a chain) restaurant in Des Moines?
2. When you have a day off or free day, what’s the best way to spend it?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
TALK ABOUT IT
In our “No Regrets” series, we are talking about the five biggest regrets that people have at the end of their lives. The second biggest regret is, “I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.” At the end of your life you will probably not be saying, “I sure regret that I didn’t put in a few more hours at the office every week…” But many of us find significance and assurance in our careers.
– What are some of the reasons that people over work or get stressed out about their work? Has that ever been a struggle for you? Why or why not?
– Are you more likely to overwork because of anxiety (I might not have enough) or ambition (I might not be enough)?
Have someone read Matthew 6:31-34
31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. 34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.
– Why does Jesus say that we shouldn’t worry about having enough of what we need?
– Why do you think these things “dominate” the thoughts of unbelievers?
– When it comes to our work/life balance, what do you think it means to “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else”? How do we live that out day to day?
Have someone read Exodus 20:8-12
8 “Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 You have six days each week for your ordinary work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of rest dedicated to the Lord your God. On that day no one in your household may do any work. This includes you, your sons and daughters, your male and female servants, your livestock, and any foreigners living among you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy.
– Why do you think God commands us to observe the Sabbath? What is His purpose?
– How does observing Sabbath in your life help you to balance your work and the rest of your life?
– When you think about the Sabbath, do you usually treat it as a command from God or a good idea from God?
– What are the biggest challenges to you experiencing Sabbath in your life?
Maybe the idea of Sabbath or a healthy balance of work/rest in your daily life seems like a pipe dream. Or maybe it sounds like a great but not impractical idea.
– How could you take one step toward trusting God with your work?
WRAPPING IT UP
Are there any needs that we can pray for tonight?