Community Group Homework
For the week of March 14, 2016
1. Who will you be pulling for the most during March Madness: Iowa? Iowa State? UNI? Other?
2. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
TALK ABOUT IT
1. If you knew you were having your last conversation with your closest family and friends, what kind of things would you talk about?
2. What is your definition of servanthood? Who do you know that most closely fits that description?
In Philippians 2, the Apostle Paul is encouraging the Christians in Philippi to serve like Jesus, he writes:
3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. 5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death – even death on a cross!
– What do you think it means to “value others above yourself”?
– Paul encourages us to have the same mindset as Christ. In what ways does Paul describe Christ’s servant mindset in this passage? What sticks out to you about Paul’s description?
– After reading about Christ’s humility and servant leadership, what do you think it looks like to imitate that in day-to-day life?
On Sunday, we said that, “You live and lead like Jesus when you leverage what you have for the benefit of others.” What do you think about that statement?
– What are some of the things that God has entrusted to you that you can leverage on behalf of others? How have you been able to do that?
– What impact do you think we can have on others when we are willing to serve? How does that help our mission as a church of “helping people take their next step toward Christ”?
WRAPPING IT UP
– Where is God asking you to pick up the servant’s towel?
– Where is He asking you to set aside your interests for the sake of the interests of others?
– How can we pray for you this week as a group?