Honoring God with Your Singleness
Sociologists identify 5 elements that mark a young person’s transition from adolescence to adulthood.
- Becoming economically independent
- Moving out of parent’s home
- Completing education / commencing work
- Getting married
- Having children
1960 – 65%men, 77%women achieved all 5 markers by age 30
2010 – 31%men, 46%women
Present day, delaying marriage and child bearing but not delaying sex.
One big idea that we all know intuitively but culture never talks about. It’s not interesting but it’s true. If you miss it, you set yourself up for disaster later on.
Myth: Sex – It’s only physical
Truth (Known intuitively): Sex – It’s not just physical.
Questions that reveal that somehow sex is so associated with your personhood and your soul that when you treat sex as just a physical activity you hurt yourself at the deepest level imaginable.
- Why is it that when a child is sexually abused that when they are an adult that it is so difficult to shake that off? Why does it often follow them throughout their life and sometime affect in such a way that it causes life to be very difficult. Why can’t they just say some dirty old man touched me inappropriately and then move on?
- Why is it that rape is so much more devastating to a woman than being beat up?
- Why is that men with the deepest sexual issues usually have uninvolved or distant fathers?
- Why is it that most people’s greatest regrets are sexual?
The thing that makes sexuality more than physical is that God created sex to be the expression of a word that is not used very often any more: Intimacy: To know and be fully known.
1 Corinthians 6:18 – Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.
1 Corinthians 6:16 – Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 – Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your bodies.
Cultural myth about sex: Practice makes perfect
Truth: Romance in marriage is fueled by exclusivity.
If you’re single I want to give you two things to do:
- Determine your story you want to tell
- Decide ahead of time what honoring God with your body looks like
- Giving up something now for something better later is not a sacrifice. It is an investment.
Are you the person the person you are looking for is looking for?