Community Group Homework
For the week of February 12, 2017
1. What’s your favorite type of ethnic food (Italian, Mexican, Indian, Chinese, etc.)?
2. What’s the most romantic movie you’ve ever seen?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
TALK ABOUT IT
– Darrick spoke about how marriage as a symbol of God’s relationship with His people and is therefore under attack by Satan. Discuss how you see marriage as attacked and how you can strengthen and support marriage.
Last week, we looked at how Paul instructed the Corinthian church to honor God with their bodies by abstaining from sex- ual immorality. This week, Paul tells them to honor God in their marriages by having sex (Yea, God!).
Have someone in your group read 1 Corinthians 7:1.
– In that verse, Paul is discussing a slogan or saying the Corin- thian church had about sex in marriage. What are some current slogans or attitudes that we have in our culture that contradict God’s plan for sex in marriage?
Have someone in your group read 1 Corinthians 7:2-4
– What does it mean to be in debt to each other, how does this differ from the culture at the time of Paul?
– Marital abstinence is not healthy. Why is it not healthy to have long times of abstinence within marriage?
Have someone in your group read 1 Corinthians 7:5-6.
– What do you think would be a good reason for a married couple to mutually agree to abstain from sex? How could this bene t each spouse and their marriage? How could it harm their marriage?
On Sunday, we talked about person-centered sex vs. body- centered sex. The goal of person-centered sex is having great sex using these three attributes:
COVENANT > TRUST GRACE > ACCEPTANCE INTIMACY > CONNECTION
– How does covenant lead to trust, or grace to acceptance, or intimacy to connection?
– How do these three things contribute to great sex?
WRAPPING IT UP
– Covenant, grace, or intimacy – which area is a growth area for you and your spouse?
Take time to pray and thank God that as Christians we can bring glory to God in everything we do and are, including our sexuality. Ask Him to help this group to honor Him with their marriages, or if single, with their bodies.
Are there any needs that we can pray for as a group?