Community Group Homework
For the week of February 19, 2017
1. If you could live in any sitcom, which one would you choose?
2. Have you ever been mistaken for a famous person? Who?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
TALK ABOUT IT
In our culture gender is being defined as something you learn not something biological. Discuss this and how it has created a debate on bathroom use in North Carolina.
What does it mean to have gender on a spectrum?
Gender and gender identity have become significant topics in our culture. From Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner to bathroom bills to the 9-year old boy identifying as a girl on the cover of National Geographic, there is contention and confusion around gender.
Have someone in your group read Genesis 1:27 and Matthew 19:4.
– In these passages your gender is assigned to you by God, it is not something you feel. How does this compare to the current view of having a learned gender?
– Why do you think this view is becoming more accepted in western culture?
Have someone in your group read Genesis 1:26-28
– What does it mean to be created equal in God’s image?
– How are God’s commands to multiply and to steward the earth affected by our views on gender identity?
Have someone in your group read Genesis 1:27; 2:18, 20
– What does it mean to you that men and women are created equal and different? How does that influence your view of gender?
– What does it mean to identify a woman as a compliment or helper? How does that fit with male and female being equal?
Have someone in your group read Romans 7:24-25; 8:20-22, 24, 28
– What are the results of sin and how does it affect all of creation?
– Gender identity disorder or dysmorphia is a result of living in a fallen world and equal to the disorders and brokenness we find in our lives because of living under the curse. Do you agree or disagree with that statement? Why or why not?
– What does it mean to speak the truth with love? How can we be mindful, loving, and honest with those who are struggling with gender identity?
WRAPPING IT UP
Take time to pray and thank God that as Christians we can speak the truth in love and show God’s grace and mercy to those who struggle with gender identity. Pray for those around us who may be struggling. That God would bring the right people into their lives to speak the truth in love.
Are there any needs that we can pray for as a group?