Journey Church DSM
Sunday, August 6th 2017
THEME: GO make peace no “YEAH-BUTS”
TEXT: Acts of the Apostles 15:36-41 NLT
Acts of the Apostles 15:36-41 NLT
36 After some time Paul said to Barnabas, “Let’s go back and visit each city where we previously preached the word of the Lord, to see how the new believers are doing.”
37 Barnabas agreed and wanted to take along John Mark.
38 But Paul disagreed strongly, since John Mark had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not continued with them in their work.
39 Their disagreement was so sharp that they separated. Barnabas took John Mark with him and sailed for Cyprus.
40 Paul chose Silas, and as he left, the believers entrusted him to the Lord’s gracious care.
41Then he traveled throughout Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches there. http://bible.com/116/act.15.36-41.NLT
- FAMILY – Cousin of Barnabas
- BUT JOHN MARK – Deserted them in Pamphylia the 4th of 15th stop mentioned from the first missionary journey (Act 13.13)
- BUT PAUL – Later speaks of Mark, cousin of Barnabas, to make him welcome (Colossians 4:10)
- BUT PAUL – Paul asks for Mark, “for he is helpful to me.” (2 Timothy 4:11)
- His name was given by the apostles and could mean either “son of encouragement” (Acts 4:36)
- Barnabas was a Levite who came from the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. (three main categories of clergypersons: high priests, priests, and Levites)
- Initially, only Barnabas was willing to associate with Saul (Paul) after his conversion (Acts 9:26-27).
- The Spirit appointed Barnabas, along with Saul, to bring the gospel to the Gentiles living in the eastern Mediterranean region of the Roman Empire (Acts 13:2)
The legacy of Barnabas not only included him being a prophet and teacher, but also an apostle (‘one who is sent away’) (Acts 13:1; 14:14).
GOAL and the Results:
- TO GO (Matt 28:19-20)
19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”(NLT)
- Paul/ Silas went East to Eastern Europe
- Barnabas/ John Mark went to Cyprus
- but Luke the author of Acts continues the storyline of Paul. I have a thought that Barnabas (“son of encouragement”) may have continued on his path encouraging the churches as Paul had said…(Vs.36)
- Paul/ Silas and headed towards Syria and Cilicia to encourage the churches. (Vs.40)
Something had to happen because Paul and Barnabas were both Godly men – God had called them and equipped them to continue in ministry.
3.TO MAKE DISCIPLES
20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you.
What do you do when you come to a fork in the road?
You have to make a choice!
With Paul and Barnabas, it must have been hard!
GO make peace NO “YEAH-BUTS”
What GOD’S WORD says about disagreement
GO God’s Way –Glorify God
GO examine yourself –Get the Log Out of Your Eye
GO take the first step –Gently Restore
GO restore relationships –Go and Be Reconciled
I have seen GOD…. restore, rebuild, renew!
(Info from WWW.peacemaker.net)
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.