PAY IT FORWARD
SERIES: World Wide: Missions 2017
Sunday, November 5, 2017
- Q: How many of you have had a “pay it forward experience”?
- Missions is the ultimate pay if forward – your life is changed and you want others to experience that life change
- “Freely you have received; freely give.” – Matthew 10:8 NIV
- OT-NT / 2 Corinthians / Paul-Corinth / encouraging them to be generous in giving to help the church in Jerusalem as they were spreading the message of Jesus’ resurrection to the Jewish population and suffering for it
TEXT: 2 Corinthians 8:1-3
Now I want you to know, dear brothers and sisters, what God in his kindness has done through the churches in Macedonia. 2 They are being tested by many troubles, and they are very poor. But they are also filled with abundant joy, which has overflowed in rich generosity. 3 For I can testify that they gave not only what they could afford, but far more. And they did it of their own free will.
- To encourage the Corinthians to be generous, Paul points out the generosity of the “Macedonian” churches
- If you want to know what generosity looks like, look at them
- They weren’t super generous because they were super rich
- “…they are very poor”
- But they are also filled with abundant joy – result: rich generosity
- What were they joyful about? Their faith
- “This experience makes you want and need less so that the people around you who are struggling can have more.” – Tate Calease
- What were they joyful about? Their faith
- They gave beyond what was comfortable – they gave sacrificially
TEXT: Philippians 4:10-19
10 How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn’t have the chance to help me. 11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ,[d] who gives me strength.14 Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty. 15 As you know, you Philippians were the only ones who gave me financial help when I first brought you the Good News and then traveled on from Macedonia. No other church did this. 16 Even when I was in Thessalonica you sent help more than once. 17 I don’t say this because I want a gift from you. Rather, I want you to receive a reward for your kindness.18 At the moment I have all I need—and more! I am generously supplied with the gifts you sent me with Epaphroditus. They are a sweet-smelling sacrifice that is acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.
- When Paul went on his second missionary journey to places where the Gospel had never been shared, he went to Macedonia and one of the first places he evangelized in Macedonia was Philippi (read it in Acts 16)
- Later he traveled on from Macedonia – supported and sent by the Philippian church
- These new Christians – despite their troubles and poverty – gave generously – and sent Paul on – and one of the places that he landed was Corinth
- They were willing to give generously because they believed that God would continue to supply everything they needed through Christ (verse 19)
TEXT: Acts 13:2-3
2 One day as these men were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Appoint Barnabas and Saul for the special work to which I have called them.” 3 So after more fasting and prayer, the men laid their hands on them and sent them on their way.
- Antioch was one of the first churches with a large gentile population. They sent out Paul and others and that brought the Gospel to a place in Macedonia called Philippi.
And those people told somebody, who told somebody, who told somebody…and almost 2,000 years later, someone told someone who told you. And someone told me.
OUR MISSION PARTNERS FOR THIS YEAR
- Open Bible Global Missions / MVP
- Blessman Ministries
- Freedom for Youth
- Urbandale Food Pantry
- Informed Choices
WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PAY IT FORWARD – TO FREELY GIVE WHAT WE HAVE FREELY RECEIVED
- What is God asking you to do to help the Gospel go world-wide?
- You might not think you have the ability to do much…
- What if you gave one large Pizza Hut Supreme pizza to missions each month ($17.00 + tip = $20.00)?
- What if you gave up Starbucks once a week and put that $5 into missions ($20 a month)
- What if you skipped going out for lunch after church once a month and put that $50.00 toward your missions faith promise?
- What if you really sacrificed? What is God asking you to do?