SERIES: World Wide: Missions 2017
Sunday, October 29, 2017
TEXT: Romans 10:14-15 (864)
14 But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? 15 And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, “How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!”
- Choices have consequences – not just when we choose the wrong thing, but when we choose not to do the right thing
Paul identifies three groups of people in these two verses and those groups sum up what missions is all about…
- There are hearers (vs. 14).
- Christianity is founded on belief in Jesus. That He resurrected from the dead and that He is who He claims to be.
- People don’t spontaneously believe and put their faith in Christ
- Salvation available to all < call on Christ < believe (faith) < know about it < hear
People still need to hear. We may not think about it that much because our lives can become saturated with hearing and being exposed to the Gospel.
- We have a limitless exposure to hearing the Gospel.
- For many people, billions, hearing is limited or non-existent:
- 16,591 people groups in the world / 6,741 are unreached with the Gospel
- 10/40 Window / 100 N – 400 S from West Africa-Asia
- 4.89 billion people, 3.02 billion are unreached
- 60% live in countries closed to North American missionaries
- 4,400 languages in the world without Scripture portions available
- 634 million people
- If you are in an unreached people group, your odds of ever encountering a Christian missionary are 1 in 216,300 people
- There are tellers (vs. 14).
- Christ’s method of people hearing about Him is sending His people to tell (kerusso – proclaim, preach, share) the Gospel
- “Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” – Matthew 28:19-20 (760)
- “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” – Acts 1:8 (830)
- That was the mission of the NT church
- “The Bible is not the basis of missions, missions is the basis of the Bible.” – Ralph Winter, missiologist
- Missions continued throughout history:
- Martyrs of the early church / Roman empire
- Early 1700’s – Moravian / West Indies / slavery
- Hudson Taylor / 1853 / China
- “China is not to be won for Christ by quiet, ease-loving men and women … The stamp of men and women we need is such as will put Jesus, China, [and] souls first and foremost in everything and at every time—even life itself must be secondary.”
- William Carey (father of modern missions) / India
- “To know the will of God, we need an open Bible and an open map.”
- Jim Elliott / Auca Indians in South America
- “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”
- Continues today: OBC / 45 countries of the world / 2015-2016 / 1,735,755 people put their faith in Christ
- There are senders (vs. 15).
- “And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!’”
- Salvation available to all < call on Christ < believe (faith) < know about it < hear < tell < sent
- Senders are those who make it possible for others to go and tell
- Paul understood this, he and Barnabas are sent to the gentile world (Acts 13)
- Not all of us will go, but all of us can send
- Here’s the truth about our sending:
- For every $100,000 that Christians make, they give $1 to the unreached (0.00001%)
- Until recently, Americans gave less money to reach the unreached than they spent buying Halloween costumes…for their pets
- Evangelical Christians (people that believe that other people should hear about Christ and put their faith in Him) could provide all of the funds needed to plant a church in each of the 6,741 unreached people groups in the world with only 0.03% of their income
- The church has roughly 3,000x the financial resources and 9,000x the manpower to finish the Great Commission of taking the Gospel to all people
- The role that most of us in this room will play over the course of our lives is the role of SENDER. The question is, how will we play it?
- When we invest in missions the return is infinite – it lasts for eternity
- When we invest in missions, we send people to the mission field. Those people proclaim the Gospel. When they do that, people who have never before heard the Gospel hear it. And many will believe and will call on Christ.
- How will they call on Christ unless they believe? And how can they believe in Christ if they haven’t heard about Him? And how will they hear unless someone tells them? And how can they go and tell without being sent?